Today we’d like to introduce you to Christina Broderick.
Thanks for sharing your story with us Christina. So, let’s start at the beginning and we can move on from there.
My commitment to education started in the Watts neighborhood in Los Angeles, where I served as an AmeriCorps member. During my service year, I came to realize that although I thought my talents were needed in medicine as a former Pre-Med student, it was actually within the education system, particularly with the mental health of students.
After subsequently continuing to work across the education spectrum, K-12 and higher education, I realized there was a continuous gap as it related to proactive skills, strategies and resources for students and their mental health. Students were struggling and receiving help too late, if even at all.
As a licensed social worker and a certified school social worker, I knew that there was an opportunity to ensure that every student was able to learn, build and strengthen their mental health foundation along their educational journey. I therefore curated IgnitEDU with the simple mission to provide a proactive, sustainable approach to student mental health.
We’re always bombarded by how great it is to pursue your passion, etc – but we’ve spoken with enough people to know that it’s not always easy. Overall, would you say things have been easy for you?
As a trained social worker turned business owner, the entire road has been a struggle, as I had to learn how to shift from feelings to business. From business models to marketing to contracts to systems, it is still a work in progress. I have found my footing in many spaces; however, I continue to run into bumps in the road as the landscapes change. Additionally, as a solopreneur, self-funding my business, there are many days where I am unsure if I’m “doing this right” and how long I can sustain. Joining accelerators and business programs have been extremely helpful, however, the day in- and day-out operations can be overwhelming for a team of one.
So let’s switch gears a bit and go into the IgnitEDU story. Tell us more about the business.
At IgnitEDU, it is our vision that every student will be able to learn, build and strengthen their mental health foundation along their educational journey. We are igniting education by helping high school and college students conquer their mental health so they can create and live in a happier space as they transition to adulthood.
The services we provide are not counseling and/or therapy but rather foundational skills, strategies and tools all students should learn.
We offer a variety of services and products, including:
– An online Student Mental Health course, where students are able to move through 9 modules that cover topics ranging from understanding mental health to stress reduction to self-care and more. Students also receive access to our online discussion community to engage with other students and build community.
– Our Ultimate Guide to Student Mental Health workbook is a supplement to our online course but can be purchased separately, in which students have an interactive workbook to guide them on their mental health journey.
– Our Ultimate Guide to Student Mental Health podcast, available on YouTube and all podcast streaming platforms, where we engage in various discussions with our guests covering student mental health in 5 areas (in the home, in education, in the community, from a man’s perspective and from a student’s perspective).
– Professional Development for staff of education spaces, including schools, community programs, clubs, etc. to learn the best ways to support the mental health of their students.
– The Ultimate Guide to Student Mental Health”, found on all podcast streaming platforms and on the IgnitEDU YouTube channel, where along with our guests, we discuss student mental health in 5 different areas — in the home, in school, in the community, from a man’s perspective and from a student perspective. We sit down with our guests to dig deep into each area, talking about the history, the current landscape and what changes need to happen as we move forward.
Has luck played a meaningful role in your life and business?
I hate to say this, but the pandemic and shift to the virtual environment has made my business grow exponentially! I have been able to access more students nationwide that I otherwise may have struggled to reach with my in-person model. I now serve students in multiple states, from the west coast to the east coast! It has been exciting to expand my reach, as ultimately, serving as many students worldwide (fingers crossed!) is the goal.
- Our Online Student Mental Health Course starts at $40. We offer special pricing for schools/organizations to bulk enroll students, including moderator access and a separate discussion community.
- Our Ultimate Guide to Student Mental Health Workbook costs $10
- Website: www.ignitedu.net
- Email: email@example.com