Today we’d like to introduce you to Dexter Nunnery.
“Dexter Nunnery” is the Founder and Program Director of Hip Hop Help. Dexter’s previous 19 years of employment with Harbor Freight Tools website division as Project Manager, fully prepared him for his current rolls with Hip Hop Help. Dexter also spent six years with the Kenneth Cole brand raising funds for their Aids Walk LA. When deciding to start Hip Hop Help Dexter passionately chose the path of redirecting the image of the most powerful and influential genre of music in the country, hip hop, by starting with an Assistance Program and adding a youth program. For the past four years, Dexter has been the leading force within the Hip Hop Help organization when putting on a fundraising event, managing the “5 Elements of Hip Hop” youth program which is a spinoff continuation of 805 legend DTragic movement, and bringing artist together to put on events to raise funds to help those in the community who apply on our website with food, rent and utility assistance.
With 20 plus years of fundraising, managing projects and brand building, Dexter decided to take advantage of those skills by starting a consulting and management company in 2019 (DNC Consulting & Management. DNC Consulting and Management specializes in brand building by focusing on areas of (special events, project management, social media and creative projects.) Four proud business moments to date: 1.) 2006- Published Novel (Saved By Love). 2.) 2011- Harbor Freight Tools (Silver Hammer Award). 3.) 2019- Ventura County Office of Education (Arts, Media and Entertainment Person of the Year.) 4.) Creating and Directing of 2018 Unity Festival at Ventura County Fairgrounds.
Overall, has it been relatively smooth? If not, what were some of the struggles along the way?
The challenges of being a creative person is, if anything goes wrong, it’s on your shoulders to fix. When you are a start-up small business, the mistakes have to be kept to a minimum because the financing and customer base isn’t there and reputation is everything.
Please tell us about DNC Consulting & Management and Hip Hop Help.
1. Hip Hop Help – is an organization that focuses on two programs in our commitment to empower and improve the lives of individuals and the communities we serve. Our Assistance Program – when someone applies on our website for help in (food, rent, utility) assistance, we reach out to the artist to perform, raise money and help those in need. Our Elements of Hip-Hop youth program- a free program for youth ages 10-18 and we hold nine-week workshops and a showcase at the end in (Dance, MC, DJ, Graffiti Art).
2. DNC Consulting and Management – we provide a range of specialized services to grow your business or brand. Special Events: We can coordinate and support the overall fundraising efforts of your event.
Project Management: We can manage your process from inception through completion.
Festivals: We can coordinate the overall organization and implementation of your festival event.
Creative Projects: We can help with books, editorial articles and screenplays, etc. We can also help with converting your written concept into a tangible pilot project.
If you had to go back in time and start over, would you have done anything differently?
1. You have to be willing to hear the word “No” and stay focus and not give up.
2. Can’t be afraid to cut the cord on friendships and business.
3. No one will work or believe in your project more than you.
- Hardcover Novel (Saved By Love) by Dexter Nunnery on Amazon – $18.04
- Paperback Novel (Saved By Love) by Dexter Nunnery on Amazon – $10.95
- Website: www.dnccm.com, www.hiphophelp.org
- Phone: 805.673.2844
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Instagram: hip_hop_help or dnc_consulting_management
- Twitter: @hip_hop_help
- Other: LinkedIn – Dexter Nunnery