Today we’d like to introduce you to Samantha Sirota.
Hi Samantha, please kick things off for us with an introduction to yourself and your story.
My now husband and I began volunteering at our local farmers’ market in high school then college. We had just graduated from CSUN and were trying to figure out how we could help our community while doing what we love. We passionately believe that we can all “vote with our fork” for a cleaner, greener future. With three meals a day, we have the power to make a choice that winds up having a positive impact on our local environment by choosing the food we eat consciously.
We founded Good Life Organics in 2010 by Samantha & Mark Sirota with the mission of creating a healthier community. We work with local family farmers to get the best seasonal produce each week which we bring to households all of the LA area… From Marina Del Rey to Northridge, From Pasadena to Westlake. Our program offers a win-win situation so families can get the best-tasting fruit and their dollars directly support sustainable agriculture along with local schools and charities. Before the pandemic a large aspect of our deliveries were pick-up sites at schools where we’ve raised over $163,000 for our partnering schools! We’ve also donated to the LAfoodBank and in 2020 planted 20,000 trees with our partnership with Trees for the Future. We still have a handful of community pick up sites open and have expanded our home deliveries to five days a week to serve all parts of the city.
Can you talk to us a bit about the challenges and lessons you’ve learned along the way. Looking back would you say it’s been easy or smooth in retrospect?
Quarantine forced us to change our focus rapidly from a focus on community pick up sites to more and more home deliveries right to doorsteps. Just like with any business, making sure there’s the right amount of staff has never been easy. Since we’re a small business if someone calls out sick my husband or I have to fill in… so sometimes that could mean working 60 hours a week – just like when we just started and it was just the two of us doing 100% of the pick up/ packing / and delivery. Now we have a staff of ten amazing team members.
Thanks for sharing that. So, maybe next you can tell us a bit more about your business?
If you love fresh-picked Organic fruits and vegetables, Good Life Organics has got you covered with seasonal, locally grown, 100% Organic produce delivered right to your home or a convenient community pick up site. Unlike a traditional CSA, Good Life Organics is proud to partner with multiple farms to provide a variety of the freshest and best fruits and vegetables Southern California has to offer. We’re also pleased to share simple recipes each week that your whole family can enjoy!
What sets us apart is:
1) Community — being a family business, our customers are like family. Some have been eating our foods for 10+ years. If they had a pre-schooler when they started getting the box, that preschooler is now in high school! So that student grew up knowing what good food is… eating with the seasons…trying so many varieties. I like to say that we help people expand their food vocabulary
2) Recipes — every week we send a newsletter with EASY and yummy recipes. I’m all about taking shortcuts and saving time in the kitchen so I share my tested and true recipes with minimal ingredients that help people enjoy their produce more. Cheesy Kale Chips, Cauliflower Tacos, and Cream of Broccoli Soup are a few that come to mind.
3) Full circle doing good — supporting health, supporting farmers, supporting the environment.
Can you talk to us about how you think about risk?
What comes to mind right away is more a sense of perseverance — keeping on going even when it’s really hard… so I guess the risk would be the willingness to persevere through that unknown.
- Boxes start around $20 and the largest is $51.95 for the family box
- $168,000 donated to local schools
- 20,000 trees planted
- Website: www.goodlifeorganics.org
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/goodlifeorganics/
- Yelp: https://www.yelp.com/biz/good-life-organics-los-angeles