From Bottega Louie’s perfectly crafted pizza to the pasta at Bestia, DTLA’s Italian Cuisine game is on point. Check out some of our favorites below.
- Excellent Pizza
- Try their Portobello Fries (even if you hate mushrooms)
- Their macarons and other desserts are famous
- Great spot for date night
- Only gripe: no reservations…
Masa of Echo Park
Images courtesy of Roman Roze
- Amazing Bread Pudding
- People love the deep dish pizza – order ahead of time (takes 45 minutes)
- Can be hard to get a reservation, plan ahead
- Their pasta is out of this world good
- Chef Luigi Barducci Contessi is brilliant and it started at a very young age.
- Born in Gorizia, Italy and raised in Verona, the city of Romeo and Juliet, Luigi grew up by observing his mother Lidia cooking each meal for the family, and Sunday Luigi’s father would make his special home made fresh pasta. He was only 13 when he enrolled in “Bardolino Chef School” and after gradution he immediately started working in restaurants. However, because of his passion for Harley Davidson, blues music, and overall an attraction to American culture, he decided to move to the United States, where he worked at “Locanda Veneta” for few years and then moved “Ca Brea” resturant where he become and remained the executive chef for 16 years. It was only after meeting his wife and becoming a father then he embarked in the adventure of opening his own restaurant thus Colori dream started.