Connect
To Top

Flashes & Strokes: a Tale of Two Mediums

The digital and traditional arts are thriving in LA. From newer, technology based media like photography and digital art to more traditional art, there is so much to see, explore and learn from in Southern California.  Through our Flashes and Strokes series, we’d like to celebrate artists from both worlds: traditional and digital.

@hannah_gadsby phrased things in ways I’d literally never heard before. Things I’ve struggled with my entire life. She’d describe something, blow my mind with how perfectly articulated it was, and only minutes later while I'm still reeling over her words she’d do it again with something different. Every moment that I felt she’d stripped her life and identity and shame and anger completely bare for us to see, she’d rip away even more and throw it directly at the audience without hesitation. It was relentless, fearless, and gutting. I used to be a writer; writing was a pillar in my life and it was the medium through which I connected to the world and myself. I killed the writer in me nearly ten years ago. I wish I hadn't – so I could perfectly describe what it means to watch a brilliant artist transcend their own medium and make history with their art. Hannah Gadsby’s comedy special Nanette is on @netflix and you should watch it. I am grateful to her. I am forever in her debt. 🌻🌻 . . . . . #hannahgadsby #netflix #nanette #standup #comedyspecial #womenincomedy #queerwomen #femaleartist #womeninfilm #vangogh #vincentvangogh #painting #arthistory #ghostcoast #aesthetic #retrowave #laartist #editor #nostalgia #digitalcollage #collage #graphicart #surrealism #render #unsplash #madewithunsplash

A post shared by Anna Rottke (@ghostcoastgfx) on

T H E R I G H T E Y E (study) Sketch – 2013

A post shared by Jason Jimenez (@elixrrxile) on

10 Comments

1. Kelsey

March 16, 2018 at 20:15

Thanks for the feature guys!! Definitely going to check out some of these check photographer’s!

2. Kelsey

March 16, 2018 at 20:16

Thanks for the feature guys!! Definitely going to check out some of these check photographers! (oops, typo on the last one)

3. Vanessa

March 30, 2018 at 17:57

Thank you so much for the feature. Love what you guys are doing for local artists and small businesses. I’ll definitely share your site with my followers.

4. Alyssa Jones

April 12, 2018 at 01:18

RJW Fine photography has some amazing photos. I’ve seen them in person at the Newport Art Show this past October and the way he captures the light and subject matter is amazing. The vivid colors of nature contrasting with the bold lines of the pier in your feature picture creates an image filled with softness and strength.

5. Sky Peak Photography

April 13, 2018 at 16:45

Thank you so much for this opportunity! Humbled and proud to be featured along all this SoCal LA talent 🙏

6. Robert De Anda

April 26, 2018 at 02:19

Thanks for featuring my concert photography. The Rock scene in Los Angeles is definitely seeing a resurgence especially among younger music lovers who are discovering the magic of songwriting and the satisfaction of mastering a musical instrument. I am honored to be able to capture the scene today and help promote new talent.

7. Sweet Mint Studio

July 10, 2018 at 19:07

Thank you so much for the feature! Hope our Instagram handle could be a small token of inspiration to any aspire artists out there.

8. Alexey Bever

July 19, 2018 at 07:14

Thanks for the love! Have been following a couple of these artist for sometime now, great to see all the other creative minds! Awesome job everyone!k

9. Sean Diamond

August 2, 2018 at 01:44

Thank you so much for the feature! I appreciate it!

10. ZCVISUALZ

September 7, 2018 at 15:05

Thanks so much for the feature!! It really means a lot. There are so many creative and talented minds in LA and it’s truly amazing to see!