How many times have you found yourself wondering what you should do tonight? LA is an incredibly city, full of world-class nightlife options, yet we’ve all struggled to figure out what to do on a given night. We’ve tried to curate a list of the 50 most popular nightspots in LA to help you when you just can’t seem to figure out where to spend your night.
Address: 448 S Hill St Los Angeles, CA 90013
A French inspired rooftop bistro that offers unobstructed views of Downtown Los Angeles that makes it feel as though you are floating at the skyline. PERCH offers two outdoor fireplaces, various fire pits, lounge and table seating both indoors and out.
- Features a live band with an indoor bar, balcony and rooftop lounge seats with romantic, twinkling lights
- Good cocktails, the food is hit or miss
- It’s a great spot for date night; many have proposed here
Nearby: Check out Mrs. Fish downstairs for more of a lounge
2. The Edison
Address: 108 W 2nd St Los Angeles, CA 90012
The ultimate 1920s speakeasy in LA, set underground in the remains of an turn-of-the-century power plant. Edison is perfect for when you want to put on your best suit or flapper dress and head down the steps into a bygone time. The bartenders are well-dressed, silent films projected on the walls illuminate the dark space, and sometimes you can get lucky with a live band or burlesque performance.
- Dress code enforced, get there before 10:30pm on a Friday to avoid the line
- Good cocktails, try them out during happy hour
- “Absinthe fairy” rolls a bar cart around for you to indulge
3. Seven Grand
Address: 515 W 7th St., Los Angeles, CA 90014
This is the bar for when your boyfriend is tired of sipping margaritas poolside with you or you’re just feeling particularly badass. The type of place that makes you want to smoke a cigar, even if you don’t smoke. Seven Grand is a true whiskey bar where you can develop your taste for (and learn the difference between) scotch, whiskey, bourbon and rye.
- Casual atmosphere
- Pool table in the center
- Ask the bartenders for a suggestion – they’re great!
4. Library Bar
Address: 630 W 6th St., Los Angeles, CA 90017
The closest you’ll get to a library after undergrad is the Library Bar. A small bar where the walls are covered in bookshelves adorned with…well, books. Library Bar offers some interesting drinks and decent appetizers to get your night started.
- Casual atmosphere – a good place to start your night/stop by after work
- Good variety of beer on tap
- A small space that gets packed
5. Rooftop at The Standard
Address: 550 South Flower Street, Los Angeles, CA 90069
The Rooftop at the Standard offers an awesome open-air experience, with full views of downtown. Go here for the views and to lounge in waterbed pods. There is also a biergarten but it can be reserved for events.
- Small dance floor but most people aren’t dancing
- It’s guaranteed that you’ll be hit on by at least one man over 35.
6. The Varnish
Images courtesy of Carlos Lopez
Address: 118 E 6th St, Los Angeles, CA 90014
A real speakeasy, hidden inside Cole’s restaurant is perfect for couples and small groups (under 6 people). Head to Cole’s for happy hour priced fries and famous french dip sandwiches, then after 7 pm head through a door in the back to Varnish for expertly crafted cocktails. Play by Varnish’s rules and you are sure to have a great time.
- Cocktails are well thought out and take time to prepare
- Not particularly fancy, but still classy
- Live jazz on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday after 9pm.
Address: 707 E 4th Pl, Los Angeles, CA 90013
Looking for something different? Eighty two quenches your thirst for a time when life was simple, complete with dozens of arcade and pinball machines. A fun, upbeat spot with eclectic music.
- Occasional celebrity DJ
- You can order a Mai Tai in a mason jar but no pretension here – no guest list, no reservations
- Perfect place you never heard of but can’t wait to go
8. Broadway Bar
Address: 830 S Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90014
Broadway bar offers two stories in a gothic revival building, a circular bar with an amazing chandelier AND an outdoor patio on the second level for when you inevitably need to get some air because this place gets packed.
- Music selection is mixed: sometimes old school hip hop, or old school funk and rock.
- No dance floor but you won’t get a stink eye for dancing (if you can find the space!)
9. Onyx Lounge
Address: 118 W 5th St, Los Angeles, CA 90013
With good food and drinks, Onyx is a chic spot for 30-somethings. It’s laid back but not casual. Some nights there is live music/swing dancing.
- 5 words: Mexican cheesesteak & spicy garlic fries
- Can’t miss drink: spring street smash (bourbon + fresh berries)
- Great for a dinner date
10. Las Perlas
Address: 107 E 6th St, Los Angeles, CA 90013
Las Perlas = cultural decor and ambiance + a great selection of tequilas (the real stuff, not what you drank in college) and hand crafted margaritas. There is a variety of seating options, including an outdoor patio.
- Great for bar hopping with Association and Varnish right across the street
- Go-to drinks: Spiced Daisy and Poblano Escobar
- Order with the Bartenders and Cole’s (across the street) will deliver
11. XLanes LA
Address: 333 Alameda St #300, Los Angeles, CA 90013
This bowling alley features a DJ spinning live music while music videos play on large screen TVs. There is a full bar after 5PM, karaoke, arcade games and billiards – definitely a fun a spot.
- Entertainment includes Bowling, Arcades, Karaoke, billiards
- Full Bar (service hit or miss)
- Free shoe rental with Yelp Checkin
12. Salvage Bar & Lounge
Address: 717 W 7th St, Los Angeles, CA 90017
A lounge in DTLA where it’s ok to grind on your date like it’s 1999. It’s small, gets packed and the crowd is always a little rowdy.
- No cover
- They play hiphop and people are here to dance
- Line isn’t usually short
- A little grungy, but fun overall
13. Cana Rum Bar
Address: 714 W Olympic Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90015
Can somebody say Havana Nights…this swanky rum bar is a hidden gem in DTLA.
- Members only lounge (membership is under $50/year and lets you bring up to 5 friends)
- Cool Cuban/Latin vibe with awesome rum-based drinks
- It’s very dark, so turn your flash on for those selfies
Address: 819 S Flower St, Los Angeles, CA 90017
The place to go ig you wanna dance to hiphop and get crunk. #turnupforwhat
- Dance floor has tiles that light up
- Mostly hiphop music, lots of people dancing
- It’s a small space, so feels crowded, but everyone is getting crunk
15. Lock & Key
Address: 239 S Vermont Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90004
You can’t enter the bar unless you find the right knob to turn on the door and it has TONS of knobs. Then you enter a small, but posh ktown hotspot.
- Nice patio area for when it’s too crowded inside
- Nondescript on outside, but posh interior (true speakeasy style)
- Delicious garlic butter fries
16. R Bar
Address: 3331 W 8th St, Los Angeles, CA 90005
This pirate themed ktown nightspot has decent drinks and a laid back atmosphere. #Shiver-me-timbers
- You need a password to get in (it’s on their facebook page)
- Chill K-Town spot – not too crowded
- Pirate Themed
Address: 3451 W 6th St, Los Angeles, CA 90020
An Asian-Columbian gastropub in the heart of k-town, Escala features a chill, hip, trendy atmosphere.
- Columbian food with a Korean influence
- Oldschool hiphop playing
- Great selection of beers and strong drinks
Address: 6523 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90028
Beautiful decor, gorgeous gogo dancers, a man on stilts, a lingerie show on stage and music that gets people dancing – we approve. Great place to get a table for a birthday
- One of the more extravagant Hollywood nightclubs
- Beautiful decor, Gogo Dancers and other fun stuff (man on stilts, etc)
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
19. The Well
Address: 6255 Sunset Blvd, Hollywood, CA
- A hole in the wall with good drinks and no fuss, no crowds, no drama
- Nice service, plenty of seating
20. Saint Felix
Address: 1602 N Cahuenga Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90028
- Great hollywood bar with good drinks, nice service and cool decor
21. Piano Bar
Address: 6429 Selma Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90028
Not the kind of place to grind on your date in Hollywood – you come here to listen to music and sip on your drink.
- Dimly lit, laid back atmosphere
- Live music every night with musicians singing their hearts out
We think John Wayne came back to life and secretly runs this legit old western saloon in the heart of Hollywood.
- Low key, casual atmosphere (but still upscale-ish)
- Tons of personality, decent drinks, one of our favorite bars in Hollwood
23. Toca Madera
Address: 8450 W 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90048
The most elevated mexican restaurant/bar/lounge in LA. reservations weeks in advance and hard to get a table at 9 pm on a wednesday. Cool upscale decor; beverly hills type people; full regular menu and also a full vegan menu; try the churro ice cream sandwich (one is enough for you and your date)
24. Frolic Room
Address: 6245 Hollywood Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90028
- Kind of a swanky, but dive-bar-ish 1960s-esque place with a wacky, eclectic crowd.
25. No Vacancy
Address: 1727 N Hudson Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90028
Amazing place. Check it out, we don’t want to spoil it for you – but look at the photos. Trust it, it will be a fun night.
26. The Room
Address: 1626 N Cahuenga Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90028
Great music for dancing, good vibe, people are dancing and having fun. Some nights it can be empty though… so kind of hit or miss kinda spot
27. Burgundy Room
Address: 1621 N Cahuenga Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90028
- #divebar #punkrock #Rock #small-n-dark
28. Bar Marmont
Address: 8171 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90046
Bar Marmont: Moulin Rouge meets Hollywood. Ulta chic, some like to come here to rub elbows and network, and typically makes for a fun night.
29. El Carmen
Address: 8138 W 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90048
- drink margaritas at 3 pm as if it’s midnight (no windows)
- tapas food
- wall covered with mexican fighter photos; if you’re seated at the booth there’s naked people instead
Address: 10929 Pico Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90064
Walls lined with shelves filled with books + rich, wood furniture + great bar = The Wellsbourne
- library themed, with two foosball tables
- Good drinks
31. The Roof on Wilshire
Address: 6317 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90048
- Beautiful view of the city (even though you’re not that high up)
- It can a little dark and hard to see
32. The Roger Room
Address: 370 N La Cienega Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90048
- A hidden gem in the Beverly Grove Area
- Skilled bartenders – amazing cocktails
- Small, cozy feel (and flash photography is banned!)
33. Mom’s Bar
Address: 12238 Santa Monica Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90025
- Great Place to watch a Packers Game
- Decently sized dance floor (but it still gets overcrowded on weekends)
34. Blipsy Bar
Address: 369 N Western Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90004
- Old School Arcade Games & Alcohol
- Friendly vibe, always a fun night
35. Little Bar
Address: 757 S La Brea Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036
- Cute bar on miracle mile
- Juke box music and darts
- They have trivia and karaoke nights
36. The Dime
Address: 442 N Fairfax Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036
- Hipster central
- Late 90s/early-00s hip hop
- Across the street from Canter’s so you can easily grab a bite after